Money Smart Main Topics
Need something fun to do with your kids when they are not in school like during weekends or summer/spring break, but do not know what to do?
Visit Fun & Free in KC to find lots of Cheap or Free Events/Activities for the Whole Family to Enjoy!
The Family Conservancy
Family Conservancy was founded in 1880 and its mission is helping families and children achieve a lifetime of success. The Family Conservancy has a great resource page for parents and caregivers on behavior, child care, education, general parenting, health, infants, preschoolers, safety, school-aged resources, social and emotional development resources or special education and care resources. Sign up for monthly parenting tips and resources from the Family Conservancy
Caps4Kids – The Children’s Advocacy Project of Kansas City (Caps4Kids) website lists hundreds of resources that support anyone providing support for children. Information about child care, early intervention and development, after school care, mentoring, foster care, adoption, pregnancy resources, infant care, teen resources, and more can be found on their website. Also listed on Caps4Kids are hundreds of local organizations and social service agencies that can help families in many ways–use the search function to find the service you need. Please view the large grouping of resources and the helpful links to learn more about Kansas City resources. There are also some great parent handouts on a variety of subjects.
My Resource Connection
My Resource Connection connects individuals needing assistance with local resources that can help meet their needs: groceries, clothing, health care, counseling, childcare, parenting help, etc. Specific searches can be completed by zip code and county.
Benefits.Gov will allow you to apply for Government Assistance (TANF cash assistance, SNAP food assistance, Child Care Subsidy, Low Income Energy Assistance Program, etc.) The website reviews Federal and State benefits and sorts benefits by category and agency. To understand what state and federal benefits you may be eligible for, please start at the BENEFIT FINDER.
Early Childhood & Education
Statistics show that early childhood care positively impacts the lives of participating children.
Search for Childcare in your State
- KCMO Public Schools: Early Childhood Education Programs
- Show Me KC – Find the right school in the Kansas City Public School system
- Project Eagle Early Head Start – center-based or home-based
- Infant/Toddler Services early intervention support from the Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment
For Local Support/Classes:
For National Support/Classes:
- Love & Logic is a philosophy founded in 1977 by Jim Fay and Foster W. Cline, M.D. The Love and Logic Institute is dedicated to making parenting and teaching fun and rewarding, instead of stressful and chaotic. Find local classes for MO and KS.
- Center for Parenting Education – free online parenting classes and resources
For Tips On Parenting:
Family Conservancy has tips for all ages:
- Babies (0-12 months) ,Toddlers (12-24 months), 3 to 5 year olds, 6 to 8 year olds, 9 to 12 year olds, Teens
Dr. Sears – general advice on parenting and health care:
For Prenatal & Baby Care:
- Mother & Child Coalition – access programs and classes available throughout the metro to promote maternal and child healthcare
- Black Healthcare Coalition – find programs to help address health equity for African-Americans
- Uzazi Village – learn about pre and perinatal care and courses for urban mothers
- Happy Bottoms – provides diapers to low-income families in Kansas City
- Contact your local hospital or healthcare provider to find classes on birth, breastfeeding, newborn care, CPR, first aid and more.
- The National Center for Fathering strives to inspire and equip fathers and father figures to be actively engaged in the life of every child.
- Fatherly is a leading digital resource for new parents, combining practical advice and evidence-based insights from top experts around the world.
- Strong Dads Program – from KS Department for Children and Families
For Single Parents:
For Car Seat Safety:
For Saving Money:
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library is a program to help kids love reading by sending a brand new, age appropriate book each month to every child under 5 years.
- Kansas City contact for Imagination Library-United Way of Greater KC. Check and see if your area is covered and register online here
Early reading resources
- The American Academy of Pediatrics offers a lit tool kit with multiple resources for you and your kids.
- 7 Great Online Reading Resources for Parents and Learning Coaches from Connections Academy
Area organizations working in classrooms to improve reading in the classroom for K-3rd grade students
For Family Fun:
- Fun & Free in KC is a great resource for finding free and cheap activities and events around Kansas City.
- Check out Kansas City Parent for great parenting tips and advice.
- Also check out the Kansas City Parent calendar of events.
- Other Free Kansas City Activities
- 33 Free things to do from Visit KC
- Always Free activities from Kansas City on the cheap
Helpful Links For Child Abuse Prevention:
- CAPA – Child Abuse Prevention Association
- Prevent Child Abuse Kansas City Roundtable – A collaboration of more than 30 community agencies that promotes awareness of child abuse and the prevention, training and treatment services available in the Greater Kansas City area.
- Child Care Aware of Missouri – Missouri Action Info Center
- Missouri Programs and services for children-MO Dept. of Social Services
- Kansas Action for Children
- Kansas Child Care Aware
- Kansas Child (and adult) Protection and Prevention services – KS Dept. for Children and Families