Money Smart Main Topics
You can find multiple ways to save money on almost everything that you purchase. Before you’re ready to save money on purchases, you need to keep track of your money to understand and recognize where you spend your money. We suggest that you consider taking a financial education course or talk to a financial coach when establishing a spending plan.
To help you track your monthly expenses and understand where you spend your money, download the Tracking Your Expenses Worksheet. A budget shows how much money you make (income) and allots amounts for expenses. Once your budget is complete, you can assess your financial situation and identify items that need to be adjusted. Below you will find some online budgeting tools and information:
Do you want easy access to an online budget that tracks spending, sends alerts and reviews credit for free?
A budget shows how much money you make (income) and allots amounts for expenses. Once your budget is complete, you can assess your financial situation and identify items that need to be adjusted. Below you will find some online budgeting tools and information:
Big Ideas for Saving
You need to know:
1. The lowest price offered online (this must include shipping costs).
2. The lowest price offered in stores.
Many stores will match a competing stores price. Some stores will even match online pricing. Learn some basics about price matching by reviewing these resources; stores that price match and how they compare, 19 Stores that will match Walmart, and understanding Black Friday price match.
- Understanding computer security for on-line purchases from the FTC
- Product Internet Purchase Promo Codes Sites: Retailmenot, Nerdwallet,CouponAlbum, Savings.com
- Review online product comparison shopping websites
- Retailers that reward you for registering your email address with offers/coupons
- Best loyalty rewards programs from MSN Money
- Coupons and circulars available in one easy app Shopular
- Mobile Coupons Sites: Retailmenot, Ebates, Coupons.com, Nerdwallet, Fatwallet, Shop at Home, CouponAlbum, savings.com, Slick Deals
- List of Stores that accept competitor coupons from Frugal Living
- Local Deal Websites like Groupon and Living Social
- Honey automatically finds coupon codes and applies them to your order when you check out, saving you money and coupon searching time
- Printable coupons and resources from couponing.com
Apps That Help You Save Money:
- Coupons and circulars available in one easy app Shopular
- Living Rich with Coupons
- RetailMeNot means you never have to clip coupons out of Sunday circulars again. Instead, this app collects coupon codes for you, and lets you save your favorite stores for easier tracking. Free iOS, Android.
- It’s always frustrating to fill up your tank and quickly realize prices were cheaper at a gas station down the road. GasBuddy makes this problem a thing of the past by allowing you to find the cheapest gas near you or search for the lowest prices in a specific location. Free iOS, Android.
- Ebates – The app lets shoppers earn cash back at more than 1,800 retailers (like Walmart, Target, Kohls and Macy’s), compare prices and track deals. Also check out the 10,000+ coupons. Free iOS, Android.
- ShopSavvy – It’s always frustrating to purchase an item and immediately find it cheaper at another store. With the ShopSavvy app you can scan the product barcodes and instantly find the lowest price online or in your local area. Find daily and weekly deals from major retailers, see product reviews, and show sales from your favorite stores. Free iOS, Android.
- The Groupon mobile app allows you to save 50 to 70 percent at local merchants. Get daily deals on your phone and use the app to search for instant discounts at a variety of places, including restaurants, stores and attractions. Living Social is a similar app as groupon. Free iOS, Android.
- Slice – Track Packages – Slice automatically picks up tracking numbers in your email whenever you buy Get Money Back – Did the price drop after you bought it? They’ll let you know and help you get a refund. Stay Safe – Get alerted when anything you’ve bought is recalled by the CPSC. Access Receipts – Easily find a receipt for a return or work-related expense. Free, iOS, Android
- Ibotta is a rebate app for grocery shopping. Most of the items found on this rebate are items that you would buy on a weekly basis, such as milk, yogurt, eggs, garbage bags, cereal, soda and more. Free iOS and Android
- Checkout 51 is a rebate app that helps you save money on the brands you love. Every Thursday morning, Checkout 51 updates with a new list of offers. All you have to do is pick the ones you like, purchase them at any store, and upload a photo of your receipt through the mobile app or website. When your account reaches $20.00, they send you a check.
- Hopper – If you’re planning to buy airplane tickets, don’t make a purchase without consulting Hopper. The app uses data-driven research to help you save up to 40 percent on flights, by determining the best times to go on your trip and purchase your tickets. Free iOS, Android.
- Retailers’ apps.If you have a store you frequent often, check to see if it has an app, because it could save you money on products you’re buying anyway. Ex’s: Try the Target Cartwheel app, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Staples, Hobby Lobby, Walgreens, etc. Most free iOS, Android.
- Understanding and comparing college loans and choosing a loan right for you
- College loans Bankrate, Federal Student Aid, private student loan comparison
- Credit Cards Bankrate, Nerd Wallet, Credit Karma, CreditCardsGuide
- Healthcare Affordable Care Act, Insurance.com, ehealthinsurance.com, Medicare Medigap
- Insurance Bankrate, Insure.com, Lowermybills
Saving Money On Food:
Saving Money On Travel:
Saving Money On Home:
- Learn how to buy a home
- Compare area home prices on Zillow
- Low-income home energy assistance program – Missouri and Kansas
- Mortgage rates: Bankrate, Yahoo Finance, Lending Tree
- Also, check out our loan topic for information on home buying and mortgages
Save money on utilities:
- Home and appliance energy efficiency from Energy Star
- Kansas weatherization program
- Missouri weatherization program
- KCP&L assistance program
Check out our loan topic for information on home buying and mortgages
Saving Money On Cars:
- Understanding how to buy a car
- Understanding the purchase process
- Researching cars
- Compare cars
- Understand what your trade-in is worth
- Car Loan Costs: Bankrate, Loan Calculator, Lending Tree, Credit.com