Money Smart Main Topics
No one plans to get sick or hurt, but most people need medical care at some point. Health insurance covers these costs and offers many other important benefits. Healthcare protects you from health and financial risks.
KC Health Resource – Help for the uninsured or underinsured
The clinics listed on the KC Health Resource site work together to help you locate not only basic health care services, but also specialist services when they are needed. These clinics will do their best to provide you with consistent care and keep your health and medical records current.
Each of these clinics is very different. At many clinics, you must have an appointment, so call first to find out if you need an appointment and what you need to bring, such as a picture ID. Fees for services at many of the clinics are based on income and may be reduced or free if you live on a limited income and meet certain state and federal guidelines.
This guide lists clinics by location to help you find care as close to home as possible. It also lists the services you might need, such as vision care, obstetrics, child health, prescription assistance and more.
For printed copies of the guide, please call the Regional Health Care Initiative staff at Mid-America Regional Council, 816-474-4240 or visit their site. (this information is from the KC Health Resource site)
United Way 2-1-1
United Way’s 2-1-1 hotline or 816-474-5112, is a great resource for everyday needs that aren’t quite 9-1-1 emergencies. Need to find counseling? A health clinic? A dentist? A eye doctor? Simply dial 2-1-1, or visit United Way 2-1-1 Online to search for resources on your own.
United Way 2-1-1 spans a 23-county area, including seven counties in Kansas and 16 in Missouri, and has access to literally thousands of resources. The comprehensive database is constantly being updated so you’ll have accurate information.
Call 2-1-1 and you’ll reach a trained, caring professional seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It’s free and confidential.
For additional information about United Way’s 2-1-1 services:
call (816) 474-5112 or toll free at (866) 320-5764.
The Health Insurance Marketplace
Open enrollment for 2017 coverage is November 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017. You can apply online, by phone, in-person with a Navigator or CAC, by mail… find out more here. If you want help finding options and applying, you can call United Way 2-1-1 any time to find a Navigator or CAC that is close to you or click here and enter your county on the right to find one in your area.
You can visit HealthCare.gov on the web, or contact the Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596.
- Explore healthcare insurance options
- Review options for prescription assistance
- Understand Medicare and Medicaid
- Find a doctor, dentist or eye doctor
- Explore a healthy lifestyle
Understand Your Health & Wellness
Understand Your Child’s Health & Wellness
- Mother and Child Health Coalition
- Center for Children’s Healthy Lifestyles & Nutrition
- KC Healthy Kids
- The Family Conservancy
- How health insurance protects you from health and financial risks
- Pay less even before you meet your deductible
- Avoid the penalty for not having health insurance
- How health insurance covers essential health benefits critical to maintaining your health and treating illness and accidents
- How health insurance protects you from unexpected, high medical costs.
- Pay less for covered in-network health care, even before you meet your deductible.
- Free preventive care, like vaccines, screenings, and some check-ups, even before you meet your deductible.
- KC Health Resource – for the uninsured or underinsured
- Free and Income Based Healthcare Clinics in Kansas City, Missouri
- Free and Income Based Healthcare Clinics in Kansas City, Kansas
- Free and Income Based Healthcare Clinics in Johnson County, KS
- Free and Income Based Dental Clinics
- Kansas City Free Eye Clinic
- Addiction Services
- Family Support and Involvement Download guide from DrugRehab.org
- ASK A HEALTHCARE EXPERT
- ASK United Way 2-1-1Behavior health, dental care, prescription assistance, urgent care, after-hours care and more