Money Smart Main Topics
Kansas City Employment Organizations
Preparing for your future career involves some sort of education or training. A good place to get started to plan your career is through the U.S. Department of Labor’s Career One Stop Shop. This is a national database of all organizations helping adults receive employment, training, certification, etc.
Find a Local Resource for Career Development
- Excelsior Springs Job Corps – Missouri
- Full Employment Council (FEC) – Missouri
- Hire KC Youth – Missouri and Kansas
- Women’s Employment Network – Missouri and Kansas
- Workforce Partnership Kansas – Kansas
Employment Resources for those with Disabilities
- Career One Stop
- Missouri Vocational Rehabilitation
- Project RISE (Reaching for Independent Successful Employment)
- Goodwill – empowers people with disadvantages and different abilities to earn and keep employment through individualized programs and services.
- Kansas Rehabilitation Services – (DCF)
- Missouri Vocational Rehabilitation (DESE)
- SHIFT– (Employer and Employee Disability Inclusion)
A Complete Description of Career Preparation Resources
Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center and Training Center (KC, MO)
Excelsior Springs Job Corps is a no-cost education and career technical training program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor that helps young people, ages 16 through 24, improve the quality of their lives through career technical and academic training. Contact: (816) 629-3111
Workforce Partnership is committed to building a workforce development system that meets the needs of both job seekers and employers throughout the Kansas City area. We have a network of career centers in Johnson, Leavenworth, and Wyandotte counties offering professional expertise to employers and job seekers.
Job Search Tip: Develop a brief intro about yourself and your experience. That way, when they say, ‘Tell me about yourself, why should I hire you?’ you have a memorized statement about why you’d be good on the job.
Full Employment Council
The Full Employment Council (FEC), Inc. is a one-stop destination for job seekers and employers in the Greater Kansas City area.
Contact your local FEC or Submit a Question
Hire KC Youth:
Hire KC Youth is a citywide initiative dedicated to unlocking opportunity and connecting youth to future careers in Kansas City. The mission of Hire KC Youth is to improve the social and economic outcomes of the region’s youth by attracting, aligning, and investing resources in coordinated, next-generation youth workforce programs.
SHIFT– (Employer and Employee Disability Inclusion):
SHIFT simplifies disability inclusion. We connect businesses and job seekers with everything needed in one easy-to-use place, including valuable coaching at every step. Created by the Greater Kansas City Business Leadership Network, SHIFT is changing the face of disability inclusion.
H&R Block Business & Career Center
Find financial and job resources at the Library through the H&R Block Business and Career Center has dedicated staff and resources to provide employment, financial, business and non-profit services.
- Job search online tools for finding employment
- Job Now guides you through the necessary tasks to get a job, including acing the interview, building a résumé, and personality & career assessments.
- Learning Express offers practice tests for standardized tests, such as the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and Law School Admission Test (LSAT), civil service exams, the U.S. citizenship test, and occupational licenses, including practice tests for nurses and paramedics.
- Free classes, résumé creation, Internet and software basics, and job search strategies. Call 816.701.3717 to set up an appointment for a personal consultation with a business librarian to discuss your business, career, or financial concerns.
Women’s Employment Network
The Women’s Employment Network helps women earn a brighter future for themselves, families and our community.
WEN services include:
- Licensed case management and community referrals
- Career exploration
- Job-search assistance
- Ongoing support for program graduates
- Financial coaching and training