Money Smart Main Topics
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) – Locate free sites
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $60,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
- VITA/TCE Site Locator Tool – search by zipcode
- AARP Tax-Aide Locator – AARP Tax-Aide provides free tax assistance and preparation for taxpayers with low and middle-income, with special attention to those age 60 and older.
- Next Step KC operates several local IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) tax preparation sites in the Kansas City area. VITA offers free tax help to hard-working taxpayers with incomes of $60,000 and below who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Call United Way 2-1-1 or 816-474-5112 for referrals to VITA sites and to schedule appointments for certain sites during tax season.
What To Bring
Before going to a VITA site, see Publication 3676-B for services provided and check out the What to Bring page to ensure you have all the required documents and information our volunteers will need to help you. *Note: available services can vary at each site due to the availability of volunteers certified with the tax law expertise required for your return.
Online Free Tax Preparation – Do it Yourself
MyFreeTaxes is an easy, safe, and free way to file your taxes online. Available for residents in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, you can file your federal and state returns for free. Just click File For Free and you’ll be taken to the secure H&R Block software that has powered MyFreeTaxes since 2009. United Way promotes MyFreeTaxes to help support the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community, and maximizing your tax refund is a key step towards that goal. If you earned less than $66,000 last year you qualify to file for free with MyFreeTaxes from United Way. (Information from website)
Military Personnel Tax Assistance
Find information on free tax preparation for Military personnel at Military.com.
- Credits & Deductions for Businesses
- Business Taxes
- Sharing Economy Tax Center. This web page provides fast answers to tax questions and links and forms about the sharing economy. People who are involved in the sharing economy are those who use online platforms to engage in businesses, such as renting a spare bedroom, providing car rides, and providing other goods and services.
- Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center is a great resource for sole proprietors and others who are in business for themselves. This site has many handy tips and references to tax rules a self-employed person may need to know. Self-employed taxpayers will find information on topics, including how to make quarterly payments and business structures.
- Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center features links to useful tools, including Small Business Taxes: The Virtual Workshop and common IRS forms with instructions. Taxpayers can find help on everything from how to get an Employer Identification Number online to how to engage with the IRS during an audit. A link to the IRS Tax Calendar for Businesses and Self-Employed also provides at-a-glance key tax dates for businesses.
Visit the following Money Smart Topics for helpful information and links.