***NOTE: All AARP tax appointment slots for the season are full. Please visitconnectingforgood.org/programs/taxprep for a list of other local sites offering tax assistance.***
Representatives from AARP will be on hand to assist with your federal and state (MO and KS) income tax returns.
Appointments are available and must be made in person during tax preparation times through AARP. Library staff cannot schedule appointments.
Mondays and Thursdays 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
*NOTE: The Library is closed on President’s Day, February 18.
This service is prioritized for seniors with low to moderate income.
Library staff are NOT tax experts. All questions are to go through the Kansas City AARP 866-389-5627.
Before visiting an AARP volunteer, see Publication 3676-B for a list of services provided and check out the IRS What to Bring page to ensure you have all the required documents and information the volunteers will need to help you.
Please bring the following items:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All 1095 Forms, Health Insurance Statements Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Direct deposit and/or banking information
- Proof of daycare expenses with provider name, address and ID number
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
More information is available at www.kclibrary.org/tax-help.